Gov. Kate Brown has ordered schools throughout the state to close from Monday, March 16 through Tuesday, March 31. In a Department of Education announcement, Gov. Brown said education officials told her it has been difficult for schools to function due to student absences and workforce issues. The announcement listed the following directives for schools and early learning centers:
- School districts are directed to develop plans for returning to school that accommodate ongoing impacts of coronavirus. Staff should utilize the final two days of March to finalize plans for operating schools under updated measures, with students expected to return on Wednesday, April 1.
- Districts are tasked with developing plans to continue nutrition services during the closure.
- The Oregon Department of Education will examine the impact the closure will have on instructional time.
- School districts will ensure adequate cleaning supplies for increased cleaning protocols following the closure.
- The Early Learning Division will support child care programs and will work to identify resources to support child care needs for our most vulnerable families, as well as health care professionals and first responders.