It’s been several years since OBI has offered specific policy priorities and principles focused directly on manufacturing. In 2021, OBI established the Manufacturing Council of Oregon (MCO), which has involved a renewed and focused manufacturing advocacy effort. OBI recognizes the vital and integrated importance of manufacturing in Oregon. Manufacturing jobs can and will create equitable, top-tier opportunities for advancement for Oregon workers and families. The production of these jobs contributes to a thriving economic and business climate that produces revenue for critical public services.
The broad mission of OBI and the MCO is to protect, promote and grow a positive, globally competitive business climate for manufacturing and related industries throughout Oregon. Our efforts through the MCO, working with a broad base of diverse stakeholders, makers and innovators, will be dedicated to providing opportunities, removing barriers, and creating the jobs that fuel Oregon’s economy and quality of life.
- Ensure that Oregon provides a sustainable, globally competitive environment that supports a diverse manufacturing sector by fostering capital investment, innovation, research and development, employment opportunities and workforce training.
- Promote a tax and regulatory environment that encourages manufacturing investment, innovation and growth.
- Promote local, state and regional infrastructure improvements to facilitate shipping, surface transportation and port access and throughput to enhance access to regional, national and global markets.
- Improve career manufacturing employment opportunities through enhanced investment and support of career and technical education and promotion of education-workforce-employer collaboration.
- Promote sustainable land-use and energy policies that ensure Oregon manufacturers have cost-effective access to the resources necessary to compete in regional and global markets.
- Oppose polices that would create unnatural competitive disadvantages or endanger proprietary information for manufacturers, including “right to repair” policies.
In 2021, OBI sponsored research on the impact of the manufacturing sector in Oregon. Read the report here.
Learn more about the Manufacturing Council of Oregon here.